Sunday, August 12, 2012

SIB, chapter 10 teaser



“So, can I ask you a question, Bella?” Kelsey asked as we made our way to my room.

“Sure.”

“I noticed on your paper that your last name is Swan.”
“Oh, yeah it is. Why?”

“Well I couldn’t help but noticed it’s that same as that guy in all those political commercials on TV.”

“Which one, Kelsey? Do you realize how many political commercials there are on TV?” Luke asked his sister. 

“Yes, dear brother, I do,” she retorted at her brother before looking over at me and saying, “Before Luke so rudely interrupted me, I was going to say the guy with the bushy mustache.”

“Yep that would be my dad.” 

We came to a stop and I looked up to see we had reached the end of the hall and the plaque on the wall had my room number on it. I swiped the plastic room key and opened the door. 

As we entered the space, Kelsey inquired, “So do you help with his campaign at all?”

“No,” I stated instantly. “I try to stay as far away from it as possible.”

“Oh,” she said in a somewhat surprised tone. “Well…don’t you support him at all?”

“No. And I know that must seem odd to you, but let’s just say my parents and I don’t see eye to eye on many things. So it’s best if I just stay as far out of my father’s business and political affairs as possible.” 

“Hey, I’m sorry,” she said sincerely. “I didn’t mean to upset you. I was just curious.”

I felt bad as soon as she apologized. I knew my voice had taken on a bit of a harsh tone to it, but I had hoped it hadn’t been that noticeable. Apparently it had and I had offended Kelsey with it.

I blew out a gust of air. “No I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to sound crass or anything. My parents are just a sore subject with me.”

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait until friday. Are they finally going to work out how to solve the whole phone issue and get together? I hope so. See ya friday.

    ReplyDelete