Sunday, October 17, 2010

Teaser for Chapter 11 of Truths, Lies and Alibis

Edward made the turn, following Emmett’s vehicle up the dirt driveway until we were both parked in front of a large wood-frame, Victorian style home. I took my hair band off my wrist and pulled my hair back. I then reached into my purse and grabbed my gun and placed it in my holster.

Edward handed me his keys and asked me to unlock the glove box and get his gun out for him. I did and then we both got out of the car and walked over to where Jake and Emmett were standing.

“Jake, check the perimeter and then come inside and get the basement. It looks like it’s got a third floor or an attic, I’ll get that. Edward, you take the ground floor, Bella, you take the second.”

We all nodded and as Jake began his walk around the outside of the house, the rest of us headed up the porch steps to the front door.

Emmett turned the knob and it clicked instantly causing the door to start to open. Emmett held on to the door as he opened it very slowly and cautiously.

Quickly glancing over his shoulder at us, he warned, “I don’t like the fact that this door is unlocked. Keep your eyes open for traps.”

Emmett slowly entered and we followed; all of us with our weapons out and ready to shoot if necessary.

As we entered the house, it smelled stale and musty like it had been closed up for years and there was a light coating of dust on the floor. Otherwise the house was completely empty from what we could see so far as we looked around the entryway.

Emmett nodded for Edward to go search the first floor and then for me to follow him up the stairs. Just before I took the first step, Edward grabbed my hand and whispered, “Be careful.”

“I will,” I whispered back. I couldn’t explain why, but I suddenly found myself fighting the urge to tell him I loved him.

No comments:

Post a Comment