Sunday, December 19, 2010

Truths, Lies and Alibis, chapter 19 teaser

“What the hell, Edward? What do you mean pack a suitcase?”

He finally stepped aside so I could see into my room. I gasped and felt my heart jump into my throat as I took in the sight. There sitting in the middle of my bed was a box of apples with a note sitting on top of them.

I felt as though an elephant was sitting on my chest. I could hardly breathe. “No, no, no, not here. How…I don’t—”

I was in fear of collapsing into a heap on the floor until I felt Edward’s strong arms encircling me and holding me up. He picked me up and carried me downstairs to the couch.

This was too much. First Nana’s, and now here in my own home, the one place I had come to feel the safest in. I looked into Edward’s emerald green eyes searching for some sort of reassurance, but instead of finding the warmth, love and security that was usually present there, all I saw was worry and anger and concern.

“How, Edward? How did someone get in here and get past your fancy alarm system?” I begged him for answers.

Brushing my hair back from my face, he kissed my forehead and held me close to his chest. I knew he was trying to calm me down and sooth my fears, but that was going to be a difficult task right now. This bastard, whoever he was, had been in my house, my sanctuary. How much longer would I have to endure this?

“Hey,” Edward said kissing the top of my head and rubbing his hand softly along my back. “I know this is hard to take. I can only imagine how violated you must fee. Right now I can’t tell you exactly how they got past the alarm. I have a few ideas, but until I check things out more thoroughly, I won’t know for sure.”

He stopped and lifted my chin, forcing me to look at him instead of letting me keep my face buried against his chest.

“One thing I can promise you, Sweetness, I will protect you no matter what. Never doubt that. I will make sure you are safe at any cost. I know this is your home and you should be able to feel safe and secure here, but the most important thing is that you are safe. Everything else is just that, things, they are replaceable, but you…you are not and I will be damned before I let any harm come to even a hair on that beautiful head of yours.”

Edward then wrapped his arms even tighter around me and stroked my hair for a few minutes before he pulled back and said he was going to call Emmett so that he could get forensics over here to help them comb the place for evidence.

I nodded and then as he scooted me off his lap onto the couch beside him, I grabbed his hand to get his attention.

“I want to help. If I sit here with nothing to do I am going to go stir crazy. I have to at least be able to observe and help with searching my own home.”

“I actually think that would be a good idea,” he said taking me by surprise. “You know this house better than anyone so you will be able to tell more so than anyone if something seems out place or missing. Let me get Emmett over here and we’ll go from there. OK?”

“Ok.”

No comments:

Post a Comment