Monday, September 6, 2010

Truths, Lies and Alibis Teaser Chapter 5, Black Holes and Revelations


But then my thoughts turned to everything we had shared. Why would he go through all the trouble to spend so much time with me, and to pretend to be falling in love with me as well? He had told me last night that he was and I couldn’t detect a hint of wavering in his voice; nothing that would indicate he was lying.

As my brain kicked into shrink mode, I tried as hard as I could to see if I had missed any signs. Just some small detail that may have clued me in.

Nothing. There was nothing I could remember that would have led me to believe he had dropped any clues as to the cruel game he was playing. No physical signs at all whatsoever to go on. I had seen nothing but honesty and true emotion any time I looked into his eyes, and I had found myself doing that frequently. Maybe this whole ordeal was finally becoming too much for me and causing me to question anyone and everyone around me. Maybe I was becoming paranoid.

There were three things I was certain of though, one, I had to go out there and pretend that I was simply suffering from a bad case of motion sickness. I knew Nana, would surely pick up on my lie, but I also knew she wouldn’t call me out on it until we were alone. She would know that as much as I value honesty that if I felt the need to tell a lie there was good reason for it.

Second, as soon as I was back in Seattle I was going to use every bit of investigative knowledge I had to check into every facet of Edward’s life. That is if Edward Cullen was his real name.

And third, I wanted to be wrong. With everything in me I wanted to be wrong. Last night I had told him I was falling in love with him, but in reality I was well past falling. I was in love with him. Or at least who I thought he was, and I wanted that person to be the real him.

I was startled from my thoughts by a knock on the door and Edward’s voice asking, “Bella, honey, are you ok?”

Telling him that I’d be out in a minute I splashed some cold water on my face and rinsed out my mouth. Unlocking the tiny restroom door, I looked up at him and forced a slight smile and mumbled, “Motion sickness.”

He gave me a small nod and followed me back to our seats. Glancing at him quickly as I sat down, he had a look on his face as if he wanted to ask me something, but for some reason was holding back. Knowing it was the only way I was going to keep myself together for the remainder of the flight, I took the pillow provided by the airline and leaned against the wall, hoping that maybe I could fake sleep well enough that he wouldn’t catch on. With one last deep breath I closed my eyes and began a charade of my own, wishing I could sink into a black hole somewhere instead of face the possibility of my recent revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment