Sunday, September 26, 2010

Teaser for Chapter 8 of Truths, Lies and Alibis

“What the hell, Edward, I hire you to protect her and you sleep with her?” Emmett called from his desk as he got up and made his way to where we were.

“Shut up,” Edward and I yelled in unison.

“No, if there are going to be major issues between the two of you, this won’t work. I can’t have the two of you getting into some sort of lovers spat and one of you running off leaving Bella unprotected.”

“Emmett, you can hire the whole fucking Marine Corp for all I care. That’s not going to stop me from being there too, whether she wants me to or not. I am too emotionally invested in making sure nothing happens to her. I am the only one that is emotionally invested enough besides possibly you to do whatever it takes to make sure she stays safe. So you can hire me or not, but I will be there if it means I have to camp out in her fucking front yard.” The two of them were now glaring at each other like two Roman gladiators ready to spar.

Edward then reached out and grabbed my hand. I tried to pull it away but he wouldn’t let go. “Bella, please just give me the chance to explain. I will tell you anything you want to know. I don’t want to talk about this here, but you have to believe that my feelings for you are real. Everything I told you about me was real. You should know that now better than you did before. If you believe nothing else, then you have to know that I would lay my life on the line to keep you safe. Please. I am begging you to wait until we can be somewhere more private and hear me out. After that if you never want to see me again, once this mess is resolved and you’re safe, I’ll leave you alone and you’ll never have to see me again.”

Emmett and Edward both stood silent as they waited for my response. I hated it, but I knew there was a lot we had to discuss and even if I didn’t want to admit it to them, I knew I would feel safer with Edward than I would with a complete stranger. Unable to voice the words, I did the only other thing I could do. I nodded in approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment