Sunday, November 21, 2010

Truths, Lies and Alibis, chapter 16 teaser

“I don’t know, Bella,” Emmett said as he debated whether or not to agree to my visiting Reynolds.

“Look Emmett, I haven’t come face to face with him since all of this bullshit with the apples and the notes began. I need to see that he is still in that prison with my own eyes. I know it’s a bit ridiculous and the rational side of my brain knows he is. But there’s the other side that was scared shitless by what happened in that house and the nightmares I’ve been have since then, that needs to do this. Besides I want the opportunity to confront him about the apples and letters and see if I can catch him off guard. Get a read on him and see if I can make him slip up and give us some information.”

“You’ve been having nightmares?” he asked, surprised by my admission.

“Yes, which only increases my desire to make sure he is still in that prison. And I’ve had enough training that I know I can go in there and keep my cool around him. I want to make him see he is not getting to me even if it has to some degree.”

“I hear what you’re saying, Bella. I get it, I really do. But do you really think you might be able to get him to admit something?” Emmett asked quizzically.

“I got him to confess to the crimes he was being accused of didn’t I?” I retorted.

“Yes you did. But this is personal, Bella. Can you really go in there and not let him rattle you?”

“Emmett, what he is doing to me is nothing compared to what he did to those other women. I didn’t let the gruesome vulgarity of what he’d done to them get to me when I toyed with his mind and got him to confess. I won’t do it now either. If it will make you happy, you and Edward can both come with me? I know that either you or Seth would have to go anyways, so why not take him too? Edward won’t like it anymore than you, so I figure he’ll insist on going. Might as well just avert the argument and set it up that way,” I said as I continued to argue my case with him.

“You should have been a fucking attorney, Swan,” Emmett huffed.

“Oh, but then I wouldn’t have the pleasure of working with you,” I added sarcastically before painting a fake pout on my face that had Emmett rolling with laughter the second he saw it.

“Fine, I’ll call down to Stafford and let them know we’ll be there tomorrow. In the mean time, you get to call lover boy and make sure he is available to go then.”

No comments:

Post a Comment