Sunday, January 2, 2011

Truths, Lies and Alibis, chapter 20 teaser

Edward and I were eager to get to the bureau after receiving a call from Emmett saying he had some news for us and that we should come straight to his office. I had a hard time remaining patient as we rode the elevator up to the thirty-fifth floor. In my nervous state, I found myself tapping my foot restlessly on the floor. My mood wasn’t aided by the fact it seemed that everyone and their brother was getting on and off the elevator today, slowing down its ascent to the floor we needed.

By the time the door pinged signaling we had reached our floor, I was ready to sprint out of the small space. However my excitement was quickly abated when we were met with the hulking figure of Jacob Black as soon as we entered the series of offices where I worked.

I’d had it in the back of my mind that he’d be returning from his suspension soon, but it had been forgotten in the chaos that had occurred since Edward and I had returned from Vancouver.

We avoided any type of confrontation with him since he had his back to us as we made our way towards my office to drop my things off before heading to see Emmett. Our luck was short lived though as we made our way back to the front and saw Jake staring right at Edward and I.

“Well look who it is. You don’t look so well this morning, Agent Swan. The big bad wolf still giving you a hard time?” Jake chided as Edward and I walked by.

Edward stopped and took a few steps in Jake’s direction causing Jake to back up an equal distance. However, his retreat was hampered when he backed into the copy machine. I couldn’t help but think he must remember what it’s like to have Edward’s fist in his face and if he wasn’t careful he was going to have it there again. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Tyler stand as if he were ready to jump in if the situation got out of hand.

“Did you not learn anything last time? Are you that stupid that your first day back you are going to start harassing her again?” Edward spat at Jake while clinching his fists at his sides in an effort to remain cool.

“Oh, please. Get a grip on your overdramatic self, loverboy. I’m just making an observation. She looks like she hasn’t slept for a week. Aww, what’s the matter? Is life not the fairytale romance you wanted it to be?” he returned with a smug tone in his voice.

Edward took another step closer to Jake and looked him straight in the eye. “This is Bella’s life you are talking about. Not some fucking fairytale. And I think you’d be wise to remember that in the future, along with keeping your mouth shut unless you’d like me to shut it for you again.”

“Are you threatening me?” Jake asked incredulously.

“No. I’m promising you,” Edward growled.

No comments:

Post a Comment