Sunday, December 25, 2011

Memories of Christmas Past, Chapter 5 teaser

It had completely baffled and amazed me how fast Alice, Esme, Rose and I had been able to pull together all the details for my and Edward’s wedding. It had only taken us three weeks to pull it all together.

Our first task had been to reserve the View Point Inn and the second had been to find my dress. Alice had said that once those two things were accomplished the rest would fall into place. Of course she had been right and after scouring several online sites, looking through every page of every Bride’s magazine Alice could get her hands on and spending a weekend in Seattle combing every bridal shop there was, we had done it. I had my dress and had known it was the one the instant I’d seen it.

There had been a few bittersweet moments along the way though. We had all gone to Seattle on the excursion to find my gown and the bridesmaid dresses. While Alice, Rose, Esme and me had gone shopping for the gowns, the men had gotten fitted for their tuxes and had gone to the college football game at U-Dub. But when Alice and Esme talked about some of the experiences they’d had while shopping for Alice’s wedding gown, I couldn’t help wishing things were different between my mother and me. I couldn’t help thinking that she should be there with me, helping me choose my dress and taking part in all of the planning of my wedding. And I couldn’t help but wish that I could at least know that she was happy for Edward and me.

For the most part I had not let what she’d done interfere at all in my life. I was so very, very happy with Edward and I loved him so much.

However there were just times like now, when I was contemplating on whether or not I should send her an invitation that I couldn’t deny how much it hurt. She was my mother and was supposed to be happy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment